Friday, March 20, 2015

Eclipse in the Sound of Arisaig.

This morning dark low clouds obscured the skies above Glenuig. The fresh wind was blowing from the NW where the skies over Eigg and Rum appeared lighter. In order to try and see the eclipse we paddled out into the Sound of Arisaig. This photo was taken at was taken at 09:28. Unfortunately the clouds were too thick to see the sun and moon at maximum eclipse which was at 09:34.

But at 09:56 the clouds thinned, just for a moment. I whipped the 5D mk3 out and got three quick shots. It was a tad tricky getting a non waterproof full size DSLR out in the water conditions.

I now have three eclipses burned on my right retina, I just need to close my eye and I see them so clearly...who needs photos?

6 comments:

  1. Always look on the bright side, might be your motto...
    Nice pic's! Safe paddling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A solar eclipse is about being in the right place at the right time and clear skies. I didn't think you'd get the total eclipse but that last shot is pretty awesome seeing the edge of the moon against the sun. I think I'll have to add a solar eclipse to my bucket list as well as seeing the northern lights, even if its not from the seat of a kayak.

    Tony :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. Where we were got to 98% totality so it was disappointing that it was too cloudy to see the sun at that point. It was an amazing experience being out on an exposed and choppy bit of water when it got nearly dark. :o)

      Delete
  3. The eclipse looks great but the second photo is a stunner ! Love the smile,,That sums it up for me !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phil thank you. We were really sorry you could not manage along this time.

      Delete