camp site (prior permission from NTS required) is in a walled field behind the church and schoolhouse.
church and schoolhouse.
One of the last written exercises, from just before evacuation in 1930. This pupil's concentration seems to have been distracted half way through the lesson. We were struck by the words "You cannot go to Boraray but on a fine day.." We had hoped the following day would be fine to allow us to paddle to Boreray but the forecast was not promising...
Ian got a good perspective for his shot along the village street.
museum. Inside, another bell is displayed. It was recently recovered by a diver in Glen Bay on the other side of the island. It had originally been fitted to SS Manor but was transferred to the trawler Kumu, which sank on 19/2/1929.
house of Lady Grange who was marooned (and effectively a prisoner) here in 1734 by her husband. He was the Lord Advocate of Scotland and they both enjoyed a drink. They had separated in 1730 after years of his infidelity and her increasingly aggressive and unpredictable behaviour. She started spreading rumours that he was a Jacobite sympathiser so he had her removed to the Hebrides, first to the Monach Isles then to Hirta.
cemetery lies just above the village street. Because the island's soil is so shallow, a wall was built and the inside was filled with soil to make it deep enough for burials, once a corpse had rotted the bones were moved to the side to make room for further burials.
underground chamber called a souterrain.
Calum Mor's house and is probably the sole survivor of the pre 1830's houses.