Monday, February 02, 2015
Frostbite, Gorgonzola, and antifreeze at sundown on Loch Leven.
You can read Ian's account here.
* by popular demand here is the recipe for cauliflower mustard and gorgonzola soup. Mike and I both have the New Covent Garden Food Co A soup for every day book. currently available on Amazon for £5! Ian has enjoyed my soup (broccoli and stilton and leek and potato) in the Sound of Aisaig and Mike's cauliflower, mustard and Gorgonzola soup in Loch Leven so he ordered his own copy on his return! Ian has kindly typed this out for me!
Covent Garden recipe cauliflower, mustard and Gorgonzola soup
Ingredients (serves 4)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon plain flour
284ml vegetable stock
1 medium cauliflower, cut into small florets
160g Gorgonzola cheese cubed
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion then cook until softened, without browning
2. Add the flour then cook for 1 minute
3. Gradually add the stock and milk, stirring constantly
4. Add the cauliflower, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 20 minsutes until the cauliflower is tender
5. Remove from the heat, add the Gorgonzola then stir until melted
6. Blend until smooth then return to the pan
7. Season to taste then reheat gently for 3 minutes
8. Stir in the mustard and serve on a lovely cold beach!