Friday, April 24, 2009

Sea kayaking from Hamilton Isle to Brodick, Arran


Despite its size, Arran only has three satellite islands. Pladda on the south, Holy Island on the east and little Hamilton Isle, to the north of Holy Island. I am afraid we just call it Hamilton Rock!


As we made our way round Clauchlands Point the magnificent peak of Goatfell, 874m soared into view.


Round successive headlands, views of more of Arran's granite ridges pulled us on towards Brodick Bay.


Finally, we approached Corriegills Point round which lay our destination, Brodick and the ferry back to Ayrshire. We had nearly come to the end of a fantastic trip to Arran and Ailsa Craig. We had experienced two significant open crossings, some amazing bird life on the Craig and some superb coastal paddling under Arran's rocky ridges.

We covered 60km over the weekend, 42km of which were the open crossings. Our total paddling time was 12 hours and I lost 4lbs in weight. Now let's see, how far would I need to paddle....?

19/04/2009

2 comments:

  1. Another enjoyable account of a paddling trip, with the usual excellent photos. Your blog is so inspiring.

    Co-incidence - the last twice I've been over on Arran you've been paddling there - and I've not managed to spot you either time! :-(

    Re: Hamilton Isle - I spent a lot of summers working in Arran in the past and my parents now live there and I've never heard it referred to as anything other than Hamilton Rock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Fiona, it just says what a great destination Arran is!

    :o)

    ReplyDelete