Monday, April 30, 2007

Great days on Gigha



Fresh from our retreat from the Mull of Kintyre we were facing a long drive home in the heat of the day when I spotted the lovely Isle of Gigha lying enticingly off the west coast of the Kintyre peninsula. We had no maps but I have been several times before so off we went! I love the dazzling white shell sand beaches and turquoise and ultramarine waters of the Hebrides.



It's a 36 km round trip and we camped overnight.



The Sound of Gigha can be a bumpy place. especially when the tide is running. On the crossing we had a great downwind blast in a fresh wind.



The west side was very sheltered and we enjoyed lovely views over the Sound of Jura to the Paps of Jura.

5 comments:

  1. We were headed for "the other" Mull - the island that is. The F4-5 easterly took us a little by surprise too.

    It blew us down Loch Sunart then, after turning left down the Sound of Mull, it was in our faces. All down to the hills I suppose. Still, the fish-supper lunch in Tobermory was excellent. (Is it still a "fish supper" at lunchtime?)

    The conditions were nowhere near what you encountered on "your" Mull, but Gigha looks great and is now on our to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're making me jealous now Douglas.......looks breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simon, it seems wind always blows along Scottish lochs, I keep hoping to find a sheltered one! Mind you the Sound of Mull can be a bumpy place when the tide turns against the wind! We missed out on our planned fish suppers on a winter Sunday. The staff in the Co-op didn't bat an eyelid when we walked in in our dry suits to get some bread and stuff for sandwiches.

    John, I know the south coast has a cracking coastline but if you are ever up this way...

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a matter of fact, I often am, my inlaws are based in Glasgow and Aberfoyle. Once the children are a little older I will bring my boat.

    The Boathouse on Gigha looks unmissable

    Thanks for this Douglas

    John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep in touch John, we can generally rustle up a spare boat...

    :o)

    ReplyDelete